|Instructional Assistant, Industrial Technology|
|Assembles materials and equipment used in demonstrations and classroom assignments; operates, maintains, and repairs equipment and tools used in an assigned industrial technology related program; assists students and faculty with instructional activities; prepares instructional materials and study aids; and orders, issues, receives, and stores classroom materials, supplies, and equipment.
|EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
An associate's degree or its equivalent from a recognized college or university with a major in industrial technology or closely related field.
Two years of full-time paid experience as a technician which involved the operation and maintenance of a variety of industrial technology machines and tools.
- Principles of industrial technology
- Equipment and tools used in shops such as electric, electronic, machine, metal, diesel, and aircraft
- Health and safety practices and precautions applicable to program area
- District purchasing procedures
- Capabilities of computer systems, software and hardware common to instructional laboratories
- Principles of recordkeeping
- Operating tools and common shop equipment in assigned area such as grinders, sharpeners, lathes, mills, welders, and CNC equipment
- Provide instructional assistance to students and instructional staff
- Operate, explain, and demonstrate the proper and safe utilization of a variety of equipment and tools
- Perform repairs, installations, and make adjustments to a variety of common shop equipment
- Make adjustments to a variety of tools
- Prepare study aids for student use
- Work effectively and cooperatively with students, instructional staff, and other staff
- Give clear and concise instructions
- Maintain an inventory of equipment and tools
- Keep detailed and precise records
- Effectively utilize computer hardware and software in assigned program area
- Learn general and specialized software applications
- Monitors the use of instructional laboratories, facilities, equipment, and tools used in assigned program.
- Instructs students individually in the proper use and safe operation of a variety of equipment and tools and orients students to established policies within the instructional laboratory(ies).
- Performs repairs to assigned equipment and tools.
- Sets up supplies and equipment and assists in conducting classroom demonstrations.
- Assists instructional staff in coordinating classroom instruction with hands-on equipment operation by providing them with observations regarding the problems encountered and progress being made by students using the laboratory as part of their educational program.
- Assists instructors in the set-up of classes and preparation of instructional material and study aids.
- Issues, receives, and maintains tools, equipment, materials, and repair parts used by students and instructors.
- Maintains perpetual inventory records and takes annual inventory of equipment and instructional supplies.
- Stores equipment and tools and keeps storeroom and working areas orderly and clean.
- Prepares requisitions for supplies and materials.
- May provide training and work direction to student employees.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
|An Instructional Assistant, Industrial Technology, is responsible for applying a general knowledge of industrial technology to a broad range of duties related to the day-to-day operations of instructional laboratories which includes: preparation of equipment, materials, and supplies, maintenance of facilities and equipment, and proper use of equipment and tools.
Instructional Assistants in other academic disciplines are responsible for the day-to-day operations of instructional laboratories and apply their specialized knowledge to a broad range of duties related to the day-to-day operations of their academic departments.
General supervision is received from an academic supervisor. Functional supervision is received from instructional staff. Work direction may be provided to student employees.