|Performs routine manual tasks related to gardening and grounds maintenance at a college campus.
|EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Graduation from high school or its equivalent. Coursework or work experience in gardening is desirable.
Special: A valid Class “C” California driver's license may be required for some positions. Travel to locations throughout the District may be required for some positions.
Physical Requirement: Ability to lift and move items weighing up to 50 pounds
- Basic maintenance gardening techniques
- Use and safe operation of common gardening equipment tools
- Safety and health practices related to gardening and manual labor
- Protection and safety requirements needed when working with and handling hazardous or toxic materials
- Perform general labor work related to grounds and gardening work
- Demonstrate manual and physical dexterity and good coordination
- Safely lift and move heavy gardening materials
- Safely operate common gardening equipment and tools
- Follow written and oral instructions in carrying out assignments
- Operate all equipment safely
- Work effectively and harmoniously with college staff and students
- Mows and edges lawns using hand and power mowers and equipment.
- Blows, rakes, and picks up leaves, pine needles, and other tree and plant debris.
- Picks up debris and paper in and around planted areas.
- Sweeps and washes walks and paved areas in and around planted areas as necessary upon completion of gardening work.
- Cultivates and weeds planted areas.
- Prepares soil for planting and sets out plants.
- Cleans sprinkler heads and assists in repair and adjustments on sprinkler systems.
- Maintains hoses, tools, supplies, and equipment in proper condition and repair.
- Operates a variety of vehicles and equipment used in maintaining grounds.
- Assists Gardeners in performing more skilled tasks such as fertilizing, pesticide application, propagation, and pruning and shaping trees, shrubs, and hedges.
- May perform a variety of utility work such as cleaning and oiling blowers, sprayers, edgers, and other gardening equipment.
- May keep drains and flow lines free from debris.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
|A Groundskeeper performs semiskilled tasks and general labor related to garden and grounds maintenance at a college campus.
A Gardener provides general gardening care and grounds maintenance involving trees, lawns, turf, shrubs, hedges, ground cover, flowers, and athletic fields.
A Lead Gardener acts as a lead and participates in the work of a gardening crew engaged in providing general gardening care and grounds maintenance at a college site, including the care and upkeep of a variety of athletic facilities. Lead responsibilities are typically exercised over a group of at least three employees and include guidance and instruction on techniques, methods, and procedures for accomplishing assigned tasks and solving problems.
A Gardening Supervisor supervises and participates in the gardening care and the grounds maintenance of a college site, including the care and upkeep of a variety of athletic facilities.
Immediate supervision is received from a Gardening Supervisor. Functional supervision may be received from a Lead Gardener or Gardener. No supervision is exercised.